Before I begin writing about the point of this blog, I'm quite sure the first thing Nancy Drew would do would be to introduce herself. Following her lead, I will also introduce myself.
Let's start off with some get-to-know-you facts about Nancy:
1. Nancy Drew first appeared in 1930 as a 16 year-old girl sleuth. Later her age was changed to 18.
2. The character was created by a man named Edward Stratemeyer, but all of the Nancy Drew books were written by ghostwriters (including Harriet Adams and Mildred Wirt Benson) who collectively used the pseudonym Carolyn Keene.
3. Nancy's best friends for the majority of the books are Bess Marvin and George Fayne (who also happen to be cousins). In the first four books, Nancy is assisted by Helen Corning. Bess and George make their first appearance in The Secret of Shadow Ranch.
4. Nancy's "preffered date" is Ned Nickerson.
5. In every single Nancy Drew book, the girl sleuth's hair is described as "titian," which is an old-fashioned way of saying "blonde."
6. Nancy lives with her father, the famous lawyer Carson Drew, and their housekeeper Hannah Gruen in a town called River Heights.
7. In some of her cases Nancy is assisted by her pet terrier, Togo.
8. Nancy is well known for cruising around River Heights in her blue roadster. Sometimes her car is referred to as a blue mustang convertible.
9. Nancy never accepts money for solving mysteries because she's an amateur detective.
10. Since Nancy is 18 in all of the revised original books, she must have solved 56 cases in one year. That would mean that she solved each case in approximately 6.5 days. Not bad for an amateur!
...and some get-to-know-you facts about me:
1. My name is T. A. Rain
2. I own all 56 of the original Nancy Drew books from The Secret of the Old Clock to The Thirteenth Pearl.
3. I have introduced several friends of mine to the Nancy Drew books over the years.
4. I am also a hard-core mystery fan and love books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie.
5. Alfred Hitchcock is my favorite film director.
6. Aside from reading mysteries I have been taking dance lessons for twelve years now and have participated in several plays.
7. I believe in ghosts.
8. I like folk music.
9. My dream car is a blue convertible.
10. I will give bragging rights to anyone who can guess the pattern of my post titles.
Now if you weren't able to make it through that list of get-to-know-you-facts, I am now going to reveal the purpose of this blog. Nancy Drew ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS does the right thing.
Who doesn't want to be like Nancy Drew in that way? Well now you can. If you have a scenario (either from real life or made up) send it to me in an email or post it in a comment and I will do my best to tell you what Nancy Drew would do.
That's it for now,
T. A. Rain